Knowledgeable Iowa OWI/DWI Attorney Protects Drivers' Rights
Committed lawyer defends clients in the Davenport area against criminal prosecution
Being convicted of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated can have serious consequences, including loss of license, higher insurance costs, heavy fines and jail time. If you were stopped and charged with an OWI/DWI in the Davenport area or anywhere in Iowa, I am here to help. I understand that good people can make mistakes and that breathalyzers can give false readings. At the Law Office of Joel Walker P.C., I have the knowledge necessary to challenge the evidence against you, and the ability to help you pursue the best possible outcome.
Skilled Iowa advocate challenges drunk driving charges
At the Law Office of Joel Walker P.C., I may be able to have charges thrown out by demonstrating that an equipment or procedural error resulted in an unfair charge. I will examine whether or not law enforcement followed proper protocol in regard to:
- The stop — Police must be able to demonstrate that they pulled you over based on "reasonable suspicion" that you were acting in violation of the law.
- The sobriety test — There are specific rules that police must follow when administering field sobriety tests, including when measuring blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
- The equipment — Breathalyzer machines have provided inaccurate results in the past, and their reliability can be questioned.
- The arrest — For an arrest to be valid, an officer must inform you of your Miranda rights.
- The evidence — Blood samples and other types of evidence must be stored in certain conditions in order to maintain their integrity.
My firm will strive to get you the respect you deserve and the results you desire.
Trusted counselor provides advice on handling OWI stops
If you are ever pulled over by the police on suspicion of drunk driving, there are several ways you can help yourself:
- Remain calm and be polite — If you are nervous, police officers may think that you are hiding something or are intoxicated.
- Don't allow a search without a warrant — Any evidence police find in your car can be used to support an OWI conviction.
- Take the sobriety test — Refusing to take a test may make an officer more suspicious and lead to an arrest. The results of a test can always be challenged later.
- Get a blood test after release — It’s a good idea to measure your BAC with a blood test after arrest. At trial, your attorney may use that evidence to raise possible defenses.
If you are arrested and charged with an OWI or DWI, it is wise to contact a DWI attorney immediately. At the Law Office of Joel Walker P.C., I can start working on your defense as soon as you enlist my services.
Contact an experienced Iowa lawyer for help fighting an OWI/DWI
If you have been arrested for OWI or DWI, a qualified defense attorney can advocate for charges to be dismissed or reduced. Call the Law Office of Joel Walker P.C. in Davenport today at 563-551-2316 or contact me online to set up a consultation.